Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Homage to My Hips

So I've found myself dancing a lot...in my kitchen, bathroom, wherever...just having fun by myself or with El. All this dancing and hip swinging reminded me of a poem we used to laugh at in our poetry unit when I taught Middle School (the girls LOVED it). I found it online again and thought you all might get a kick out of it...

Homage to My Hips

these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top

Lucille Clifton

3 comments:

D. Frazier said...

Very cute thanks for sharing! I know I was so excited after I had kids and finally had hips! I actually liked my body more after having children than before as odd as that sounds.

Jen said...

well, what's my excuse?! cause i've had a kid (and she was no small thing coming out...still isn't!) and i'm shaped like a boy!

love the poem!

Unknown said...

you are NOT shaped like a boy...besides if your body had any faults your hot legs would make up for them anyway lol