Wednesday, July 16, 2008

CrossFit Rocks

Welcome to my latest blog- my way of talking up CrossFit, keeping track of my progress, venting when workouts are rough (are they ever not?), & expressing my feelings about my current fitness & diet.

My Background With CrossFit:
While I'd heard of CrossFit & tried some of the workouts about 2 years ago, I wasn't sure it would be for me. My husband & his buddy were into CrossFit & they always looked smoked after every workout. Was this for me???In Nov of 2006 after completed my first (& only to date) marathon I was looking for some kind of fitness routine that would keep me in shape but would involve less running. With the help of my husband, but with no formal training, I decided to give some of the CrossFit exercises a try. So, I ran 2-3 times a week & then did various CrossFit exercises a couple times a week. I enjoyed the intensity & speed of the workouts, but I was only doing the cardio routines. Then I got pregnant.

In April 2007 (after doing CrossFit cardio workouts on-and-off for about 5 months) I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I had wanted to get pregnant again so I was thrilled! Because of some complications early on, though, I was advised not to run or to do any intense workouts. I basically resorted to walking, using some weight machines at the gym, & some jogging for the rest of my pregnancy.

How I Got Hooked
My healthy, Baby Girl #2 was born in late January of 2008 & I was eager to get back into shape again. 4 weeks after delivering I started running again & training for Nashville's Music City Half-Marathon. I completed the race at the end of April & then was somewhat directionless for my workouts. Two months ago in May, my friend Natalie told me there was local CrossFit gym. She convinced me to check it out...and I finally did. I tried it for a week, unsure if I could commit. After just one week of only doing CrossFit I was impressed at my new arm definition & all over toning & I was convinced to join the CrossFit gym. .

CrossFit To-Date
I've been regularly doing the CrossFit WOD (workout of the day) since June 1, 2008 (6 1/2 weeks now) at my local CrossFit gym (www.crossfitclarksville.blogspot.com). While I haven't noticed much change in my cardio endurance, my strength is increasing rapidly. I feel like I have a personal training session every time I go & working out is fun...but difficult! I've realized how important it is to have a staff member there holding me accountable to proper form...getting my butt down for squats, keeping my dead lifts close to my body, knowing when I need to increase in weight, etc.

4 comments:

D. Frazier said...

Great job on getting your blog started! You seem to have better blogging skills than the rest of us. I was proud of you for getting a DL pr today very nice!

Natalie said...

Nice Michelle! cant wait to read more about your journey.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME PR today! You are making super impressive gains! Awesome blog too! I still cant figure out how to make it so people can click on links in my typing lol Keep up the good work!

FitZoner said...

Just stumbled across your blog. YOU ROCK! Fun Stuff.